NICU Helping Hands Youth Ambassador Council
Who is NICU Helping Hands and what do they do?
NICU Helping Hands is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization based in Fort Worth, Texas that develops hospital- and community-based programs that provide education and support for families with babies in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), during their transition from hospital to home and in the event of an infant loss.
Who Are the Youth Ambassadors for NICU Helping Hands?
We are highly motivated, high school students in the DFW metroplex with a passion to be leaders and make a difference within our community. We are dedicated to raising awareness about premature birth and educating the public that many babies in the NICU are not premature but are born with illnesses that require care only available to them in a neonatal intensive care unit. All NICU families, regardless of their baby’s gestational age face great difficulties when having a critically ill baby admitted to a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). It is our goal to raise awareness of these challenges and to make a tangible difference for those families.
How our Youth Ambassadors Make a Difference in the Community:
The Youth Ambassador Council raises educational awareness about the needs of NICU families by sharing with students and adults issues surrounding a NICU hospitalization. We also plan and host awareness and fundraising events throughout our community that directly benefit families affected by a NICU hospitalization.
Expectations of a Youth Ambassador
The 2018-2019 Youth Ambassador Council will be comprised of 30 students in 9th-12th grade. Applications will be reviewed by a panel of six people from NICU Helping Hands staff, board members and local NICU healthcare professionals.
Expectations of NICU Helping Hands’ Youth Ambassador include:
- Attend a minimum of 4 of 6 Youth Ambassador Council meetings in Fort Worth. Council will meet September, November, January, March, and May of each year. Year runs from September 1st - August 31st.
- Complete a minimum of 15 Volunteer hours with NICU Helping Hands between September 1st - August 31st.
- Participate on a Youth Ambassador work committee organizing and implementing two family oriented community awareness /fundraising events.
- Represent NICU Helping Hands and the Youth Ambassador Council in a manner of honor and integrity.
What Benefits do Youth Ambassadors Receive:
- Networking opportunities with business and healthcare professionals in our community
- Up close view of the health and social problem impacting families in our community and opportunities to make a difference in their lives and the overall wellbeing of our community
- Experience organizing and running events
- Public speaking opportunities
- Priority Sign Up for Volunteer Hours with NICU Helping Hands
- Community Service Hours that apply towards high school graduation requirements
- Leadership experience with a local and nationally regarded nonprofit to add to your college application and resume